In the old reality, you didn’t have to like or be liked to get the job done; that wasn’t important or measured. The fact you were miserable and made everyone else miserable was a distant second to productivity.
Well, the game has changed. Attitude does count. In fact, it counts as much or more than the ability to do “the job.”
- “The job” will change quickly. Therefore, mastery of a specific area is no longer singularly valuable.
- Today’s high-performing companies are filled with high-performing individuals.
- To stay high-performing individuals, we need to invest all our time and energy in the task at hand – not in whining or complaining, or dealing with those who do.
The definition of performance has indeed changed. And in the New Reality, it includes attitude. How well you operate within a team, how willing you are to gain new knowledge and apply new skills, whether you look at how it can be done or why it can’t – these all matter now.
What This Means to You:
- If you’re unhappy, keep it to yourself or go somewhere else.
- If you feel like you’ve been taken advantage of, deal with it and move on, or go somewhere else.
- If you don’t like your lot in life, improve it or stop complaining about it.
- If you think “they” have stuck it to you, change your mindset . . . or go somewhere else . . . please!